source: adapted from the Women's Day collection of recipes
- 2 lbs cooking apples, peeled and sliced (about 5 1/2 cups) I recommend Macoun or Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter, diced
- Put apples in a shallow 2qt casserole; add water.
- Combine sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and flour in a separate bowl. Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry blender. Spoon mixture evenly over apples. Sprinkle additional cinnamon on top (to taste).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and back for an additional 30 minutes.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour