Friday, October 19, 2007

Improving an already great meal

A while back I made Cooking Light's Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese and both Kyle and I were so impressed with how it turned out. Well, last night I took this meal to another level just by adding and substituting a couple of things.

I had some leftover spinach (about 1/2 cup) from the frittata I made a few nights ago and decided that it would work great in the pasta dish, if not for some extra flavor then for some extra color as I couldn't add the fresh basil that the recipe called for because the basil I bought at the grocery store last weekend went bad in 2 freaking days. grrr. I didn't have any mozzarella cheese either but had plenty of fontina and gouda, which when mixed together totally made this dish. In the future, I'll forgo the mozzarella altogether and stick with the combo of these two fabulous cheeses. I did keep the Parmesan in the recipe and feel like the dish requires the little extra spike of flavor that the Parmesan adds. And lastly, I used whole wheat penne pasta rather than regular ziti and this really rounded out the meal. The w.w. penne was a hearty substitution and allowed both of us to feel more satisfied with a smaller portion because of the extra protein and fiber the w.w penne provides. And that means that there were plenty of leftovers for my lunch today! :)

So there you have it...a new twist on an older meal. I'm not going to repost the recipe - I linked to it above and you can see my previous modifications through the link as well. Enjoy!!

No comments: