Tonight, I broke out Cara's (aka Pumpkin Queen) pumpkin-spice cheesecake brownies. Oh yeah. You read that right...that's brownies. with cheesecake. and pumpkin...all in one dessert!! I did end up using 1/2 cup applesauce (and 1/4 cup butter) and low-fat cream cheese to attempt at making these a little more figure-friendly...attempt being the optimal word there.
They turned out beautifully and so delicious!! Let me tell you...they are going FAST! I've only had the chance to indulge in a couple of them as Kyle is plowing through them at some unGodly rate. This one is definitely a keeper and will most likely make a reappearance sometime this fall. Thanks Cara!!!
Pumpkin-Spice Cheesecake Brownies
source: Cara at Cara's Cravings
- 3/4 cup butter, melted (I used 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each ground ginger and ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8" square metal baking pan.
- Beat together melted butter, sugar, and vanilla, then beat in eggs one at a time. Combine dry ingredients and then gradually stir into butter mixture with a wooden spoon. In separate bowl, beat together cheesecake batter ingredients.
- Spread about 2/3 of chocolate batter into prepared pan, and spoon cheesecake batter over. Dollop remaining brownie batter over cheesecake batter. Swirl the batters together by running a butter knife (or toothpick) back and forth through the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes (I baked for 35 minutes), or until center is set. Cool completely on wire rack and chill before cutting and serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 - 40 minutes
Yields: 12 - 16 brownies
Here is how I dolloped the batter and how the brownies looked just out of the oven: