Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cheese and Spinach Puff Pastry Pockets

Oh Giada how I do love thee...how is that just about every recipe I've tried of yours turns out like perfection?? You are the epitome of a true chef -- and even though you do tend to bring in the male viewers of Everyday Italian for obvious reasons, no one can deny that your recipes are superb.
OK, enough babbling...I pulled this recipe off the internet (maybe my cooking board but I can't remember) at least 6 months ago and filed it away, waiting for the right time to make it. Kyle and I don't entertain all that much and this recipe really needed a group to make the most out of enjoying it. So my parents made the 2hr trip this weekend up to visit us and enjoy some of what New England has to offer in the early fall.

As my dad and Kyle sat out on the deck in the late afternoon/early evening enjoying what was left of a sparkling day, my mom and I got to work in the kitchen. We started with these pastry pockets - it was a no-brainer that I'd serve them for my parents because creations like this one always go over well with them. Overall, the pastry pockets were really easy to make and I used 18 mini puff pastry shells rather than 12 large ones that the recipe calls for. There was quite a bit of the filling left over but we baked it in a small baking dish and will have it with crackers reheated today - next time, I'll half the filling recipe. Oh...and rest assured...there will certainly be a next time for these - they were just fabulous!!
Cheese and Spinach Puff Pastry Pockets
  • 12 frozen puff pastry shells, unthawed
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 1/4 cups grated Fontina cheese
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 3 to 5 green onions, finely chopped
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the frozen pastry shells on the baking sheet and bake until they puff and become golden brown, about 20 minutes. (I baked them for 18 minutes.) Using a small knife, cut out the center of the pastry shells. (I just pushed the little pre-cut circle of puff pastry into the pocket rather than cutting it out.)
  3. Meanwhile, stir the cream, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the spinach, Fontina cheese, Parmesan, and green onions. Spoon the spinach mixture (about 1-2 tsp each) into the baked pastry shells.
  4. Bake until the pastries are golden brown and the filling is hot, about 25 to 30 minutes. (I baked them for about 25 minutes and they were perfect.) Transfer the pastries to a platter and serve.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 45 minutes

Yields: 18 mini puff pastry pockets


1 comment:

Renea said...

Oh wow. Those looks tasty!