Friday, August 3, 2007

Cupcakes: My next endeavor

Admittedly, I'm not a big baker, mostly because of the extrodinary amount of calories in some recipes, but cupcakes are one kind of baked good that I would love to master. I received a small Wilton cake decorating set for my wedding shower last year and have started dabbling with the bags and tips to figure out the basics but teaching myself has not been easy. So I'm going to look into take the Wilton cake decorating courses that are offered through my local Michael's craft store this winter in the hope of truly learning the basics of decorating with buttercreme, fondant, and gum paste. If I never end up doing anything with my skills other than making fun birthday cakes and cupcakes for my kids in the future, then the courses will be worth it.

Kyle LOVE cake and cupcakes but I've only ever made cake or cupcakes from a "mix." Baking cakes and cupcakes and making icing/frosting from scratch is also something I'll be working on over the next couple of months. This was my first real attempt to decorate a cupcake and I'm documenting this because I hope I'll be able to show my progress as time goes on.

**If anyone has any cupcake cookbooks they love, please feel free to leave me a comment with the title and author (if you have it). Thanks!**



No comments: