Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mexican rice and updated pics of an older post

Rice has NEVER been my thing. Growing up, it was white rice. Maybe with a little butter or some chicken gravy on top if roast chicken was on the menu that night. But that was it...just white rice. In my adult years, potatoes have been my thing. Roasted, baked, mashed, fries. So in an attempt to cut down on the calories and carbs in potatoes and maybe increase our whole grain intake, I've been working on my rice skills. Yes, I think it takes a little skill to make rice because after growing up with white rice, I now feel the need to spice it up a little, if you know what I mean. I've learned the most important thing to do with rice is to season it BEFORE it cooks or else it will NEVER be seasoned enough (thanks Mom!).

And with that said, tonight I made mexican rice to go along with my garlic-cilantro-lime grilled chicken panini (which is where the updated pictures come in).


Mexican Rice

  • 1/2 cup Uncle Ben's brown rice
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • 2 - 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 2 - 3 tbsp chopped roasted red pepper
Cook rice according to package directions, using chicken broth in place of water, and adding cumin and chili powder before cooking. When rice is finished cooking, fluff with a fork, add cilantro and stir to combine.

Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Serves: 2

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your paninis look wonderful! I'm going to have to try this rice as well...

Joy Through Cooking said...

What perfect timing - I plan to make rice for dinner next week when we have my sis and bro over. Since Im cooking all sorts of other stuff I had planned to go easy and boxed on the rice. WELL its really hard to find boxed rice that is wheat-free (go figure). So long story short... I needed a recipe for mexican rice :) gracias ;)