Like I said, I followed this recipe exactly and it was excellent. The rosemary really came through and the marsala wine gave the dish such a nice flavor, an almost (forgive me here for the reference) a la Rachel Ray ::shudder:: "hmm...what is that?" kind of feeling but with a little more "umph". However, with a recipe calling for four, yes, four cups of heavy cream and a stick of butter, this was by no means a "light" recipe and thus the week's healthy eating pretty much went out the window last night. Ah well...we all have to make sacrifices from time to time and I certainly have no regrets about sacrificing a week of good eating for this meal.
And so on to the recipe....
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- 1/2 T. Dijon mustard (omitted this)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 cups heavy cream (I used 2 cups skim milk, 2 cups heavy cream)
- Saute butter, garlic and rosemary until garlic begins to brown. Add marsala wine and reduce by one-third.
- Add remaining ingredients and reduce by half of original volume. Set aside.
- 1/2 oz. pancetta or bacon
- 9 ea. shrimp, peeled and deveined (omitted shrimp)
- 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, sliced (used 1lb chicken and seasoned with herbes de provence, garlic powder, salt and pepper)
- 16 oz. penne pasta, precooked
- 3 oz. butter
- 1/2 T. shallots, chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (omitted this)
- Saute pancetta until it begins to brown. Add butter, shallots and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are evenly pink but still translucent. Add chicken, salt, and pepper; mix thoroughly.
- Add sauce and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and simmer until sauce thickens. In a large bowl, combine shrimp and chicken mixture with precooked pasta. Place this mixture into single serving dishes or one large casserole dish. (I used a 13x9 inch glass baking dish.) Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes