Yes, fall has arrived! In spite of the 80-90 degrees temperatures here in CT this week, I'm moving full steam ahead into fall with some warm meals. Last night, turkey chili was on the menu and what a treat this always is!
Years ago my mom swapped out ground beef for ground turkey and tomato sauce for salsa in her chili recipe and I've taken that recipe and modified it a little further. In my grocery store, I've found 33% reduced sodium chili seasoning packets (by McCormick) and organic salsa that has about 50% the amount of sodium as regular salsa. I tend to be very sensitive to sodium and thus try to control for it as much as possible in everything I cook and eat. Because the ground turkey usually is slightly more than 1lb and the seasoning packet calls for just 1lb of meat, I've found that a few extra seasonings is necessary and you'll see what I add below.
This truly is one of my most favorite cool-weather meals yet I'm still surprised on the number of compliments I get when I serve this (maybe I'm surprised because of how easy it is to make!)...but I hope you love this chili recipe as much as I do and that you'll share it with every
adapted from my mom's kitchen
- 1 to 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 lower sodium chili seasoning packet
- 1 jar organic salsa
- 1/2 jar of water (the salsa jar)
- 1 (15oz) can red or dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- In a large frying or saute pan over medium-high heat, brown turkey. Drain if necessary.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the remainder of the ingredients. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Fixin' suggestions: sour cream, shredded cheddar, diced onions, scallions, chives, tortilla chips.
- Serving suggestions: over rice, on tortilla chips with shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheeses as chili nachos, as chili dogs or chili burgers, or layer in an 8x8 baking dish with cream cheese, shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, and scallions and bake for 15 minutes at 375 for a hot dip.
Prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes