Thank you Nestie joelen&louis for this wonderful sugar cookie recipe!!! I have had so much trouble with sugar cookies in the past - too hard, too brown, too hard to work with. But this one was perfect. I didn't make the icing but definitely will next time.
Super Sugar Cookies
from Nestie joelen&louis
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream margarine and sugar well.
- Add vanilla and eggs; combine well.
- In separate bowl, sift the baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredients slowly until thoroughly combined.
- Cookie dough must be chilled until firm, or overnight.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness. (I dropped the dough onto cookie sheets with a cookie scoop then refrigerated for 20 minutes before cooking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With cookie cutters or rim of drinking glass, cut out cookies.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on oven. Check often to prevent over cooking or burning. Cool on baking rack when done.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1 stick real butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cream or whole milk
- Cream butter, milk and vanilla together.
- Slowly add powdered sugar to butter until desired consistency. If you'd like, add liquid food coloring for festive cookies
- When cookies are cooled, slather this heavenly frosting. For more texture and color, press the top of the cookie in sprinkles, colored sugar or just eat plain!
Active prep time: 15 minutes
Inactive prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 minutes
Yields: 3 dozen cookies